Media release: Update: February 22, 2020, Carjackings and Shootings & The Search for the Wanted Suspect.
Throughout the last few days, the Colorado Springs Police Department’s (CSPD) Communications Center and Violent Fugitive Task Force (VOFTF) processed all of the incoming tips on the possible whereabouts of suspect Kyree Howard-Walker. On February 25, 2020, CSPD officers, members of the VOFTF, detectives with the Metro Vice, Narcotics and Intelligence, and K9 Units responded to a credible tip that placed Howard-Walker, and another person, at a residence in the 1000 block of Florence Avenue. The second person with Howard-Walker was identified as 36-year-old Serena Sublett, who also had an outstanding arrest warrant. After responding law enforcement personnel confirmed that both wanted individuals were in the residence, the CSPD’s Tactical Enforcement Unit (TEU) responded.
Detectives from CSPD’s Homicide/Assault Unit obtained a search warrant for the residence, which TEU executed shortly thereafter. TEU made contact with at least two individuals inside the residence and provided multiple warnings for all occupants to exit. After several warnings, Sublett complied with commands, exited the home, and was taken into custody. Sublett was not injured. TEU later located a deceased adult male with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. No shots were ever fired during this event by CSPD.
CSPD Homicide/Assault Unit detectives, along with personnel from the El Paso County Coroner’s Office, processed the scene and identified the deceased male as Howard-Walker.
The El Paso County Coroner’s Office will make the official cause and manner of death determination. This continues to be an active investigation and further details may be released in the future, as appropriate.
As stated before, we want to thank the public for all the tips that have been submitted over the last few days. We are grateful for the amazing community we serve.
Anyone with information or who is a witness to this investigation, is asked to call the Colorado Springs Police Department at (719) 444-7000; or if you wish to remain anonymous, you may call the Crime Stoppers Tip Line at (719) 634-STOP (7867) or 1-800-222-8477.
Please see below for additional information on all these connected incidents, to include autopsy identifications and a timeline of events.
On Monday, February 24, 2020, the El Paso County Coroner’s Office completed the autopsies of the deceased adult males from the homicide investigations initiated on Saturday, February 22, 2020. The victim located on Westmeadow Drive has been identified as 39-year-old Eugene Pischke of Colorado Springs. The victim located on Torin Point, near the dispatched address in the 4300 Block of Fountain Springs Grove, has been identified as 28-year-old Carl M. Thompson, Jr. of Colorado Springs.
These investigations will be the seventh and eighth homicide investigations in the City of Colorado Springs in 2020. The CSPD investigated two homicides at this time last year.
Timeline of Events
• February 22, 2020, at approximately 10:11 A.M., a shooting occurred in the 3700 Block of Westmeadow Drive and a carjacking of a black Dodge Journey in the 3700 Block of Penny Point. When officers arrived on the scene, they located a male with an apparent gunshot wound. He was transported to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
• February 22, 2020, at approximately 3:41 P.M., the CSPD received reports that a male suspect was shooting at cars in the 200 Block of South Wahsatch Avenue. Officers located a male victim with an apparent gunshot wound. He was transported to the hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. Shortly after, a carjacking of a green Buick LaSabre occurred in the area of South Wahsatch Avenue and East Costilla Street.
• February 22, 2020, at approximately 6:11 P.M., a shooting in the 4300 Block of Fountain Springs Grove. A deceased adult male, with an apparent gunshot wound, was located.
• February 22, 2020, the CSPD announced all the previous events were connected and released images of the suspect to the public.
• February 23, 2020, CSPD detectives recovered the stolen green Buick LaSabre.
• February 23, 2020, detectives were notified that the victim, who sustained life-threatening injuries from the shooting that occurred on Westmeadow Drive, succumbed to his injuries.
• February 23, 2020, thanks to the community’s help, the CSPD identified 27-year-old Kyree Davon Howard-Walker, of Colorado Springs, as the suspect in the string of shootings and carjackings from February 22, 2020.
• February 24, 2020, the El Paso County Coroner’s Office completed the autopsies of the two deceased males from the homicide investigations on Saturday 22, 2020. The victim located on Westmeadow Drive has been identified as 39-year-old Eugene Pischke of Colorado Springs. The victim located on Torin Point, near the 4300 Block of Fountain Groves, has been identified as 28-year-old Carl M. Thompson, Jr. of Colorado Springs.
• February 24, 2020, CSPD detectives recovered the stolen black Dodge Journey.
• February 25, 2020, CSPD continued receiving information from the public, along with anonymous tips through Crime Stoppers, on the whereabouts of the suspect, Kyree Howard-Walker.
• February 25, 2020, around 10:00 A.M., the CSPD responded to a residence located in the 1000 block of Florence Avenue after receiving credible information that Howard-Walker was there along with another person who also had an outstanding arrest warrant. The CSPD’s Tactical Enforcement Unit responded and gave multiple commands to exit the residence. After several warnings, 36-year-old Serena Sublett exited the residence and was taken into custody. When officers entered the residence, a male was found deceased with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. No shots were ever fired by CSPD.
• February 25, 2020, the El Paso County Coroner’s Office identified the deceased male in the 1000 block of Florence Avenue as 27-year-old Kyree Howard-Walker.
United Airlines, Lufthansa to resume flying between Denver and Germany despite coronavirus restrictions
Denver International Airport officials announced Tuesday that nonstop service between Denver and Munich will resume next week, connecting the city...
Landowners living near shuttered oil and gas drilling sites worry economic crisis will leave behind environmental hazards
Mark Schell’s family has farmed in Colorado since 1906 and even though he works as a certified public accountant, he...
Aurora becomes first Colorado city to ban “no-knock” warrants
In what appears to be a first in Colorado, elected leaders in Aurora on Monday banned no-knock raids by police...
Is Denver’s millennial magnetism starting to wear off?
Denver’s popularity with millennials may be fading, at least when measured by the share of apartment applications young adults are...
Denver retailers, shoppers weigh in on the COVID-born outlet for self-expression
A pair of mannequins posed in the window of True,a women’s boutique in the trendy River North Art District portion...
FBI holding laptop allegedly containing Hunter Biden business emails: officials
Good morning and welcome to Fox News First. Here’s what you need to know as you start your day …...
Santa Monica Police chief stepping down amid anger over protests
The police chief of a Los Angeles suburb is stepping down amid anger over her department’s response to protests following the...
Winter weather brings ‘multiple’ rounds of snow to Upper Midwest, Iowa hit with snow squalls
Winter weather has arrived early across the northern tier of the country on Tuesday, bringing treacherous travel conditions across the...
San Francisco officials to vote on ‘CAREN’ law to stop 911 calls against Black people not committing crime
SAN FRANCISCO – Fed up with white people calling 911 about people of color selling water bottles, barbecuing or otherwise...
Trump says Sudan will be dropped from state sponsors of terrorism if it pays $335 million to terror victims
President Donald Trump on Monday said Sudan will be lifted from the list of state sponsors of terrorism once it...
California appears to be winning fight against Covid-19. How long will it last? | California
After a brutal summer of increased infection and over-burdened hospitals, California is having a moment of respite in coronavirus transmission...
Why the death of a small, punk-like fish rocked the marine world | Environment
In 1802, when French naturalist François Péron slipped a small, chunky Australian fish into a jar of preservative, little did...
Nigerian security forces open fire on protesters in Lagos | World news
Nigerian security forces have opened fire on hundreds of protesters in Lagos, as rallies against police brutality continued in defiance...
PM confirms Covid tier 3 restrictions for Greater Manchester as talks fail | World news
Greater Manchester will be moved into the highest tier of coronavirus restrictions from midnight on Thursday, Boris Johnson has confirmed,...
Coronavirus live news: Germany locks down alpine hotspot; Russia reports record new case high | World news
6.49am EDT 06:49 Singapore plans to roll out rapid Covid-19 tests for events such as weddings and business conferences as...
Colorado Rapids, CRYSC Announce 2020 Recipients of the Dr. Bob Contiguglia Annual Scholarship
We want everyone to be able to play the beautiful game 🤗 Congratulations to our 2020 Dr. Bob Contiguglia Scholarship...
A year after tough prime-time loss vs. Chiefs, Broncos look to flip script facing similar situation
“It’s going to be a great challenge.” A year after tough prime-time loss vs. Chiefs, Broncos look to flip script...
Avalanche Re-Signs Tyson Jost, Hunter Miska
Tyson Jost and Hunter Miska have both been re-signed. Avalanche Re-Signs Tyson Jost, Hunter Miska The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club...
Early Voting Period Begins in Colorado Tomorrow!
It’s bigger than sports. V O T E ☑️🗳 Early Voting Period Begins in Colorado Tomorrow! The efforts of I...
Back in March, right before COVID-19 hit, the Colorado Eagles presented a check …
Back in March, right before COVID-19 hit, the Colorado Eagles presented a check with the proceeds from January 2020’s Eagles...
Colorado Eagles6 months ago
Junior Chicks Routine – Trolls World Tour
Lamar7 months ago
20 Virtual Field Trips to Take with Your Kids | Adventures in Familyhood
Trinidad7 months ago
Safeway will be offering senior shopping hours until further notice. Tuesdays an…
Canon City7 months ago
Carol Burnett still is the funniest!! This toilet paper skit