TRINIDAD SCHOOL DISTRICT 1
AUGUST 7, 2020
While the school year came to a close in May, our principals, teachers and staff have not experienced a defined “summer break” as planning unfolds with new protocols for the 2020-2021 school year. As you can imagine, there is much detail, reflection, consideration and unanticipated expense as health and safety aspects provide the focus for continued learning and growth for all students. Flexibility continues to be the mantra in creating this plan as changes are often revealed from key agencies on a day-by-day basis. With new information and guidance available, changes to the plan were anticipated.
After discussing the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) and the Colorado Department of Education guidelines with Trinidad School District #1 faculty and administration, the decision was made to start the fall semester in a virtual format. The decision was based on several factors:
1) It was brought to our attention that no other school district in the state with similar enrollment numbers will be having “in-person” instruction this fall.
2) The number of students and teachers that would need to be quarantined if a student (or teacher) tested positive for COVID-19 would essentially cripple the operation of that particular school.
3) Las Animas County is currently considered to have a “high incidence” of transmission based on the state standard.
4) There is a statewide lack of COVID-19 testing supplies.
5) There is a long lag time for test results currently with the CDPHE Lab.
6) Due to the lack of testing, test turnaround time, and the lack of contact tracing capabilities within the County and statewide, make it very difficult, if not impossible, to mitigate an outbreak should it occur.
Factors to consider when deciding whether or not to resume “in-person” instruction, include:
1) Lower rates of transmission within the City of Trinidad and Las Animas County
2) The State of Colorado procures more testing supplies for COVID-19
3) Shorter turnaround time for testing at the state laboratory
While no one can hope to replicate the experience of being in a classroom with live teaching and interaction with other students, our administrators, faculty and staff are committed to provide an exceptional education for all students.
Registration information, remote learning resources and Colorado High School Activities Association schedule can be found on the district website at tsd1.org.
Trinidad School District #1
612 Park Street
Trinidad, CO 81082
Colorado Eagles9 months ago
Junior Chicks Routine – Trolls World Tour
Lamar10 months ago
20 Virtual Field Trips to Take with Your Kids | Adventures in Familyhood
Trinidad10 months ago
Safeway will be offering senior shopping hours until further notice. Tuesdays an…
Canon City10 months ago
Carol Burnett still is the funniest!! This toilet paper skit