THIS IS A RAPIDLY EVOLVING AND FLUID SITUATION. INFORMATION AND ACTION ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME. BE PREPARED TO BE FLEXIBLE AND PATIENT.
The situations, numbers, website links, data, and etc. described below were current as of Friday 11/6/2020 at 10:35 am.
PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS WIDELY
11/6/2020 Crowley/Otero COVID-19 Update #1: Weekly Update
Please take the time to read and understand this entire message.
Internet links: Before I send out each update, I check the links to make sure they are active. However, links do change from time to time, so the links I sent out today may not be the same tomorrow. You may have to search around a bit.
Hello to all, below are some COVID-19 updates for you:
1. Crowley County COVID-19 Prison Cases: Currently both the Arkansas Valley Correctional Facility and the Crowley County Correctional Facility in Crowley County are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks. If you have been following the COVID-19 Crowley County data, specifically the recent case numbers and the two week cumulative incidence rate per 100,000 population, you would have noticed a very recent, severe spike in those numbers. That recent, severe spike is predominantly due to the outbreaks at the prisons. In order to have meaningful data regarding the spread of COVID-19 in our Crowley County communities, we need to have case rates that exclude the positive prisoners as they are incarcerated and obviously not moving freely through the communities where they would pose a direct, increased risk of COVID-19 transmission. Yesterday my staff and I worked with CDPHE on this issue. The most current numbers we have as of the time of this writing are found below in the Summaries section. Once the picture becomes clearer (by getting a bit more data and doing some math, math is FUN, seriously), I will share data with you that reflects prisoner-excluded case rates.
2. Newly Registered Otero Death: Last week the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment’s (CDPHE) website reflected an additional Otero County death. I have talked with Otero County Coroner Bob Fowler, and we both do not have any details regarding this death. I have contacted CDPHE regarding this, and am awaiting an answer. After I hear back from CDPHE, I will update you.
3. COVID-19 Informational Graphics: For COVID-19 informational graphics in multiple languages, please visit this website:
4. 11/5/2020 Governor’s Office Update: Please see the first attachment, and carefully read and consider the COVID-19 Trends, Step Up Colorado, and Cancel Your Social Plans sections.
5. Baca County Update: This morning I received an update from our friends in Baca County, please find it attached.
6. School Webpages: Please visit these websites for school-specific information and updates regarding COVID-19:
a. Cheraw: https://www.cheraw.k12.co.us/
b. Crowley County: http://www.cck12.net/
c. Fowler: http://www.fowler.k12.co.us/
d. La Junta: https://www.lajuntaschools.org/
e. Manzanola: https://www.manzanola.k12.co.us/
f. OJC: https://www.ojc.edu/
g. Rocky Ford: https://www.rockyfordk12.org/
h. Swink: https://www.swinkk12.net/
a. CDPHE COVID-19 Data Webpage: https://covid19.colorado.gov/data
b. Crowley County (numbers are cumulative)
Total Cases: 199
o Change from last Friday’s update: 104 cases added (Please see #1 above and Facility Outbreaks below).
Total COVID Related Deaths: 1
o Change from last Friday’s update: 0
o Crowley County Correctional Facility
Previously Resolved Outbreak
• Date outbreak was considered closed: 7/20/2020
• Number of prisoners positive for COVID (lab confirmed): 66
• Number of staff positive for COVID (lab confirmed): 4
Currently Active Outbreak
• Number of prisoners positive for COVID (lab confirmed): 97
o Arkansas Valley Correctional Facility
Number of prisoners positive for COVID (lab confirmed): 2
c. Otero County (numbers are cumulative)
Total Cases: 199
o Change from last Friday’s update: 41 cases added.
Total COVID Related Deaths: 7
o Change from last Friday’s update: 0
o Lewis Bolt and Nut
Date outbreak was considered closed: 10/27/2020
Number of staff positive for COVID-19 (lab confirmed): 3
Number of staff with probable COVID-19 (NOT lab confirmed): 11
o Pioneer Healthcare Center
Date outbreak was considered closed: 9/18/2020
Number of residents positive for COVID (lab confirmed): 20
Number of staff positive for COVID-19 (lab confirmed): 14
Number of COVID related deaths (lab confirmed): 5
o Swink High School
Date outbreak was considered closed: 10/19/2020
Number of staff with probable COVID-19 (NOT lab confirmed): 1
Number of attendees who are positive for COVID-19 (lab confirmed): 2
Number of attendees with probable COVID-19 (NOT lab confirmed): 5
d. Crowley/Otero COVID-19 Related Hospitalization(s): 1 hospitalization added since last Friday’s update.
e. State of Colorado (numbers are cumulative) (https://covid19.colorado.gov/data)
1,287,081 people tested
2,158 deaths due to COVID-19
1,350 outbreaks (view outbreak data: https://covid19.colorado.gov/outbreak-data)
COVID-19 Dial Dashboard: https://covid19.colorado.gov/…/covi…/covid-19-dial-dashboard
f. United States (numbers are cumulative)
Total Cases: 9,463,782
Total Deaths: 233,129
Data Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
o Website: https://www.cdc.gov/…/2019-n…/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
g. Global (numbers are cumulative)
Confirmed Cases: 48,196,862
Data Source: Who Health Organization (WHO)
o Website: https://covid19.who.int/
8. What can you do RIGHT NOW?
Read, understand, and comply with public health orders! Public health orders can be found here: https://covid19.colorado.gov/…/public-health-executive-orde…
Prevent the spread of COVID-19: https://covid19.colorado.gov/prevention
Limit workplace violence: https://www.cdc.gov/…/busines…/limit-workplace-violence.html
Use COVID-19 informational graphics: https://covid19.colorado.gov/…/commun…/social-media-graphics
Stay home if you are sick and, if needed, call your medical provider.
Wear an appropriate mask if you must go out for an essential activity.
If you are in a high risk group, take extra precautions.
Cover your cough and/or sneeze.
Keep your fingers and hands away from your face.
Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly.
Stay informed by trusted and reliable sources. Be careful about believing what you read on social media sites. Trusted sources/websites:
o Otero County Health Department (OCHD): https://www.oterogov.com
o Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov
o Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE): https://covid19.colorado.gov/
Do these things so you will be prepared, and not scared.
And remember, “This too shall pass.”
Thanks to everyone who is doing their part to stop the spread! It is, after all, up to us.
Richard Ritter, Executive Director
Otero County Health Department
13 West 3rd Street, Room 111
La Junta, Colorado 81050
Are you sick? /sites/covid19/files/styles/flexslider_full/public/images/are_you_sick_banner.png Isolation & quarantine Get support Telehealth Risk for severe illness Protect & prepare /sites/covid19/files/styles/flexslider_full/public/images/protect_prepare_banner.png?h=1177d2bf Learn about COVID-19…
Colorado Eagles7 months ago
Junior Chicks Routine – Trolls World Tour
Lamar9 months ago
20 Virtual Field Trips to Take with Your Kids | Adventures in Familyhood
Trinidad9 months ago
Safeway will be offering senior shopping hours until further notice. Tuesdays an…
Canon City8 months ago
Carol Burnett still is the funniest!! This toilet paper skit